Mary's Prints at Fine Art America

Mary's Prints and Originals

January 27, 2015

Aqua Inspiration

One of my favorite colors is Aqua.  This color is not only easy on the eyes, but it transports me from a cold winter day to a warm beach where I can dip my feet into tranquil aqua waters.  Over the years, I've been drawn to this blue-green color and have touches of it in my home and in my artwork.  Here are a few samples that I hope will inspire you.  You can also check out my Pinterest board with more aqua inspiration here:  http://www.pinterest.com/starlitestudios/aqua-turquoise-robins-egg-blue/


"Promise of Spring" painting on canvas.


A bike I spray painted this past summer
and filled with lavender bunches from my garden.


An Easter Ornament made from a vintage postcard.
  I made the frame from chip board and
 used aqua glitter to give it some sparkle.


I repainted the frame of this shadow box with aqua
and stenciled the edge in white.  I included
a small bird nest that fell out of a tree after a
storm.  Thankfully, the nest was already empty.
The resourceful bird used netting in her nest.


"Isabella's Ice Cream Shop" painting on wood panel
with frame.  I included my aqua garden bike in the painting.
  This cute little shop is close by. We enjoyed some
 of their yummy ice cream last summer.


"Tea Time" painting on wood panel
with a vintage aqua frame repurposed from the center 
of a vintage wood shutter.  This painting is available in my
Etsy shop at this link: 


This painting has a funny story to it.  I always admired this barn from afar.  Being that I paint lots of barns, I saw a photo of the yellow barn on the internet and thought that it would be neat to travel to wherever it was someday so that I could create a painting of it.  Last year, my daughter, Vanessa had a photography class and one of her assignments was to shoot a roll of film of whatever she wanted.  She decided to take some photos of the countryside near us, so we hopped in the car and I drove down some unfamiliar back roads and we found lots of photo inspiration.  We were about 6 miles from home when we rounded a bend in the road and there it was--the exact barn!!!  I could hardly believe it!!!

I used little touches of aqua throughout this painting titled "Mascot Barn."


A wreath I made for our bedroom with a round
canvas center and pompoms made with yarn.


We painted our bedroom with a soothing aqua.
I added my aqua painting above the bed and made a
pillow from pretty aqua cloth I bought at JoAnn's Fabrics.


Over the last ten years I enjoyed painting hundreds
of wooden bowls.  This is one of my favorite
designs, "Robin's Nest."  It is only 2-1/2" in size.


"Dandelion Dream" painting on canvas with aqua tones in the sky.


I added a swirly aqua sky in my painting "Hans Herr House."


A commissioned painting I did in 2013 that combined
 a couple's love for snowmen and the beach.


A painting of my daughter, Vanessa at age four.


"Firefly Dream" painting on canvas with hand-painted frame.

I hope you found some aqua inspiration today.

Next post, I'll share a how-to for painting an aqua frame like the one above.  Until then, stay warm and cozy!

You can also see this post at:



2 comments:

  1. Love all your things and art aqua!....Beautiful painting of your daughter...and I so love the Hans Herr House!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: